Thursday, November 1, 2012

Missionary Mindset


Recently at our JRLC Chapel, we had a missionary from the middle east come speak to us. He was everything I'd think of a missionary to be: inspirational, radical, passionate, enthusiastic, and loud. What I love about missionaries is that each one seems to have a mindset that time is short and the gospel is to prevail above everything else in life. I agree with both of those things, absolutely, but I feel like in my life it tends to be not as evident as my everyday mission. I personally do not feel called to be a missionary, but I can't help to want a missionary's mindset. I want to treat every day and every moment as short and that the time to act is now; not to waste one bit of this life I've been given and to put effort into every encounter with people. The world is a big place which leaves for a big job to be done. But God has equipped us to do so. When Christ came to the earth he was 100% man and 100% God. Christ limited Himself to be with us by being in human form, however, the power of God through Him enabled many miraculous things to happen. Matthew 10:7-8 says, "When you go, preach this: 'The kingdom of God is near.' Heal the sick, raise the dead to life again, heal those who have skin diseases, and force demons out of people. I give you these powers freely, so help other people freely." As followers of Jesus, we are called to radically change the world through these circumstances. This also means that the power of Jesus is available to us to use for these things to happen. Jesus even says in John 14:12, "I tell you the truth, whoever believes in me will do the same things that I do. Those who believe will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father."

I view the life of Jesus as extravagant. He is all-powerful. It is a prayer of mine to go further in my relationship with Jesus and tap into this power He has given to us as a resource to change the world. Yes, He died on the cross to cover our sins and praise Him for that! Also, through His death we can heal the sick, bring the dead to life, cast out demons, and even greater according to John 14. Let us not waste all that Jesus has enabled us to do through His death on the cross! Let us have the mindset of missionaries as if each moment is crucial for eternity because it truly is. People matter; souls matter.

Photos taken at Ozark Watershed Center

And as I wrap up this post today let me leave with a verse. Lately, it has been my prayer to live life greater and more extreme in Jesus Christ. I want to walk everyday in abundant life with Jesus boldly proclaiming His name and demonstrating His gospel.

Philippians 3:10-11
I want to know Christ and the power that raised him from the dead. I want to share in his sufferings and become like him in his death. Then I have hope that I myself will be raised from the dead.

Happy November 1st!
❤ Ariel Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment